Each year for the last twenty or thirty years we’ve been hearing about how “this is going to be the breakthrough year for soccer in the US.” If you use Asheville’s Breweries, tap rooms and beer bars as any sort of barometer on that sentiment coming true, then 2014 may be the year that the dream becomes a reality.
Imagine our surprise last week when we stopped by Catawba Brewing Co. (to distribute some of our new Brewery Guides) at about 4:00 on Friday and found the place packed to the gills. We weren’t surprised that we saw plenty of folks enjoying great beer, but we were surprised at how many of them were glued to the big screen watching the Netherlands put a world class beat-down on the Spaniards, and screaming with joy (or crying in horror) with every play.
And Catawba wasn’t the only tap room where this was happening, Wicked Weed (who rolled a whole series of World Cup inspired beers), Asheville Brewing, The Bier Garden, Jack of the Wood and many others have all had big crowds coming in to watch the World Cup matches and enjoy great #AVLBeer with great Asheville friends.
This Sunday, the US will play Portugal at 6:00 pm in what will undoubtedly be the most watched game to date here in the US. We thought we’d share a few spots where you can go take the game in and enjoy a pint a two of your favorite local brew:
- Jack of the Wood: Has $3 pint specials and various food specials, tacos, 1/4 lb. burgers and more.
- Catawba Brewing: 60″ VIZIO. Stadium seating, and a big boisterous crowd! – Farmer Ted & Nose IPA are $3 pint & $12 pitcher
- Asheville Brewing: Showing at both locations. Seating will be limited, and parking will be difficult downtown because of a big Georgia Florida Line concert, so get there early.
- Barley’s Tap Room: All the screens will be devoted to world cup action this week, and served up with 20 taps of world-class craft beer
- Nantahala Brewing: Come out and support team USA with the rest of Bryson City. Nantahal will be offering $3 American Blondes as well as $2 red or blue pint coozies to show their spirit.
- Pack’s Tavern: American Draft Beer are $1 off (Yes, this does include your favorite local craft brews) and $4 Bloody Marys and Mimosas! Plus, register to win a World Cup gift bag from Sierra Nevada!
- Pisgah Brewing: The Bombus Food Truck will be on-site, and Pisgah willl be showcasing a brand new All NC Beer (a.k.a. Homegrown Ale) with WNC hops, Riverbend Malts and a touch of local honey
- The Bier Garden: $3 Hi-Wire Pints all month for the world cup, jerseys and soccer balls giveaways during the game, and also Weinstaphaner Hefe, Vitus, and Pilsner on draft for $4
- Brixx Wood Fired Pizza (Biltmore Park): $3.50 New Belgium Drafts (Fat Tire, Snapshot, Summer Helles, NB/Odell Collaboration American Pale Ale
- Wicked Weed will have it on as well, It will be shown out back along with 3 of their new World Cup Beers (so five total WC inspired beers will be available):
Country of inspiration: Brazil
Concept: To create a Caipirinha inspired ale
Ingredients of interest: Sugar cane rods and lime zest from 30 pounds of limes
Country of Inspiration: France
Concept: A saison brewed with French hops, French yeast and French mushrooms, Chanterelles
Ingredients of interest: French Aramis hops, French saison yeast, and Chanterelles sourced from France
Country of Inspiration: Mexico
Concept: A light, spicy beer brewed with cilantro.
Ingredients of interest: Anaheim, Fresno and Habanero chilies, and cilantro.
Country of Inspiration: Germany
Concept: Traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen made with two uncommon German hops.
Ingredients of interest: Mandarina Bavaria and Huell Melon hops and Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast
Country of Inspiration: Australia
Concept: A 7% ABV ale brewed with 5 types of New Zealand or Australian hops and Lemon Myrtle.
Ingredients of interest: Orbit, Green Bullet, Wakatu, Pacific Gem and Pacific Jade hops and Lemon Myrtle.
What: World Cup Match- U.S.A. vs. Portugal
Where: See above (or watch it at home on ESPN with your favorite #AVLBeer)
When: 6:00 pm Sunday, June 22, 2014