What a busy two years for Wicked Weed! Not content to rest on the laurels of two GABF gold medal winning beers, the opening of a new Barrel Aged Sour Tasting room, a wildly popular restaurant and the announcement of a new production facility, Wicked Weed charges forward this weekend with one of the most anticipated bottle releases of the year.
We told you about Dark Arts few weeks ago when Wicked Weed began online pre-sales for bottles and the release party. At 15% ABV, Darks Arts has been lovingly aged in a bourbon barrels for over a year, and this Wild Imperial Stout taps the legal limit of what a beer can be in North Carolina. The aging process gives Dark Arts time to pick up the all the flavors that bourbon barrels can impart on their residents, including burnt raisin, caramel, vanilla and sherry. Unlike most stouts, Dark Arts is finished with Brettanomyces, which consumes the residual sugars left behind by regular brewing yeast and gives the final brew a bone dry finish.
This weekend, those who didn’t buy in advance will get a chance to taste this brooding brew at the newly opened Funkatorium at 147 Coxe Avenue. General admission to the special Barrel Aged Tap Takeover tasting event begins at 7 pm (those of you who bought advanced tickets at the pre-sale can come at 6pm, and in addition to the Dark Arts, Wicked Weed will tap 13 other behemoth beers that you can sample. Costumes are welcome, encouraged, and maybe even required, and live music from Hank West & The Smokin’ Hots will be playing until 1:30 am.
Tickets are $18, and includes a commemorative tasting glass and 5 tasting tokens (if you run out of your tokens, beers are still available for sale by the half pint. Here’s the amazing list of guest beers that are scheduled to be on tap:
- New Belgium Brewing, NBB love’s Leopold, Dark sour aged in Leopold’s Blackberry Whiskey Barrels.
- Fullsteam Brewery, Rum Agricole Barrel Aged Cack-a-lacky, Ginger Pale Aged in the ONLY barrel of wood aged spirit ever produced by High Wire Distillery.
- Dogfish Head Beer, Burton Baton, Oak Aged Imperial IPA.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Bourbon Barrel Aged Narwhal, Aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels.
- Founders Brewing Co, Backwoods Bastard, Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotch Ale.
- Allagash Brewing Company Evora Wild Ale, Aged 16 Months in Portegese Brandy Barrels with Brett.
- Stone Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard, Aged in Basil Hayden Barrels.
And from Wicked Weed? We’re glad you asked:
- Whiskey Barrel Aged Old Fashioned, Old Ale with Sweet Cherries + Orange Zest. ( WANT )
- Dark Arts Wild Imperial Stout, Barrel Aged for 12 months in Bourbon Barrels.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Weiz Ass, German style Weizenbock.
- Blissful, Bourbon Barrel Aged Triple with Vanilla, Star Anise + Licorice Root.
- Gin Barrel Aged French 75, Ale Inspired by a Gin and Champagne cocktail, brewed with Lemon Zest and Chardonnay + Prosecco Grape Must.
After the Halloween event, Darks Arts bottle sales begin at noon on Saturday, November 1st at the Funkatorium at 147 Coxe Ave. Please remember not to show up at Wicked Weed’s mothership brewpub on Biltmore Avenue, or you’ll be the only one standing in line. There is a 6 bottle limit per person and bottles are $20.
What: Dark Arts Release and Barrel Aged Tasting event at the Funkatorium
Where: Wicked Weed’s Funkatorium, 147 Coxe Avenue, Asheville 28801
When: Barrel Aged Tasting Event – 7 pm (General Admission) Friday, October 31, 2014; Bottle Release – 12 pm November 1st, 2014